What is the right text for Guided Reading?
In our view, Guided Reading provides the opportunity for the reader to flex their reading muscles, to appropriate all the reading strategies that they have been taught or have picked up on intuitively, in an authentic reading context.
That means that choosing the 'right text' becomes pivotal. To maximise that precious guided reading time the text you choose should be 'just right' with just the right amount of challenge to keep the reader in the 'Hard Fun' zone but not the 'Hard' zone where they are overwhelmed and lose heart.
Our SHARP stories provide you with
- Age-levelled texts - you can slide up and down the levels of text difficulty
- Tightly written stories and non fiction - plenty of information, action and text development in just one page
- High interest stories with age appropriate themes AND well presented information about topics that readers are fascinated by.
DESIGNED FOR EFFECTIVE COMPREHENSION INSTRUCTION USING FICTION
Short, tightly written, high impact stories providing lots of opportunities to developing literal comprehension and the higher order thinking skills, analysing and evaluating text structure - all WHILE the student is reading.
- Four paragraphs in length, the perfect text for a 25-30 minute lesson.
- Written at 5 levels of difficulty so you can choose the level which best suits the needs of the students you are working with.
- Each StoryByte comes in two formats: you get a one page PDF file for guided reading and a Powerpoint for whole class or shared reading. Also great for distance guided reading lessons.
- Challenging, motivating follow-up activities - a range of writing, drawing, creative design.
DESIGNED FOR EFFECTIVE COMPREHENSION INSTRUCTION USING NON FICTIONShort, tightly written, high impact information reports providing lots of opportunities to developing literal comprehension and the higher order thinking skills, analysing and evaluating text structure - all WHILE the student is reading.
- Four paragraphs in length, the perfect text for a 25-30 minute Stage 3 SharpReading guided reading lesson.
- Written at 5 levels of difficulty
- Two formats: a one page text for guided reading and a Powerpoint for whole class or Shared Reading.
- A range of activities for independent follow-up work.
CLICK HERE to see the wide range of topics - Recounts, Explanations, Persuasive writing
STORIES TO CHALLENGE YOUR TOP END READERS
Your more able readers need text that provide exposure to rich vocabulary, complex sentence structure, subtle nuances in plot development, and more mature, adult themes. This 'Short Stories' series provides all of the above, reading ages 10 yrs to 16+ yrs, one page stories with interesting characters, quirky plot twists, all on one page - a feast that can be consumed in one sitting.
On top of that there are a wide range of after riding comprehension activities that provide a wide range of responses - written, visual, creative - all of which develop those higher order comprehension skills.
TOPIC STUDIES - MAMMALS, REPTILES, BIRDS and more...
- Great models of the Information Report and Explanation genres
- Allows you to integrate you reading instruction into topic work (Science)
- Formatted to support SharpReading lessons
- Extensive after reading activities based on Bloom's Taxonomy
Chapter Books - longer, high interest stories that can be used in a variety of ways in the instructional reading programme - serial story (class read aloud), novel study, guided reading lesson one chapter at a time - or purchased by the individual just for a good read.
- Support resources for NZ School Journals (stories and articles)
- Extensive follow-up activities based on Bloom's Taxonomy
- Cover a wide range of reading ages
- Lesson plan suggestions
- TEXT NOT INCLUDED - you need access to NZ School Journals