The Struggling Older Reader - Description
"The Struggling Older Reader" training is specifically designed for teachers of those older students who 'get stuck' on decoding - they haven't yet developed the decoding fluency they need to become confident readers.
"SevenPlus" - An 8-10 week intervention
The starting point is our SevenPlus Intervention, carefully designed to address the needs of the reader who is stuck at around a reading age of seven-eight or who is progressing but only slowly. Their motivation for reading and their self esteem about themselves as readers is fading fast. Decoding strategies, fluency and vocabulary are all attended to in a routine that ensures success and the rebuilding of confidence.
"The 5 Bits" - Where to next?
The success or failure of any intervention is usually determined by what happens next. We provide you with our especially modified SharpReading Stage 2 routine which helps transition learners back into a more mainstreamed guided reading routine. This ensures that the newly found confidence and enthusiasm for reading is maintained and prepares them for Stage 3 - Comprehension Strategy Instruction.
The Struggling Older Reader ONLiNE
As with all of our ONLiNE training, the opportunity to do SOR ONLiNE is a great cost saver - no classroom release time required; no expensive relievers needed.
You can train at your own pace in your own time ... and we guarantee that this is NOT a big time commitment. Our training model revolves around Have a Look, Have a GO, Come back and see what you missed.
Your 1 User licence means 12 months access to SOR ONLiNE .... and a lifetime access to all the teaching resources.
SOR ONLiNE includes ...
1. Well presented background information explaining the theory behind our approach.
2. Annotated video modelling of the teaching routines (the heart of any SharpReading training).
3. All the resources you need for the SevenPlus Intervention
- Instructional text at 3 levels of difficulty to meet all the needs of your students
We have reformatted some of our StoryBytes and InfoBytes to match the requirements of SevenPlus - 10 weeks of SevenPlus lessons - No Planning - No Preparation
- Screening tests to easily identify the SOR students and place them on appropriate levels
- The complete 92 page SevenPlus Manual - detailed references to all the research and a wealth of additional phonological and morphological follow-up activities to reinforce the learning that occurs in the SevenPlus lesson.
4. Email support - contact us if you have any queries or roadblocks
We do offer face-to-face star-up workshops if that is your preference.
See "Book a Workshop" for a list of planned workshops. If you want to organise a workshop in your area contact us.
WORKSHOP COST: $235* + GST
*Workshop Price includes "The Struggling Older Reader ONLiNE".